2018 Board of Directors
Chair Sharon Chadwick
Vice Chair Beth Peterson
Treasurer Judith DeMarchi
Secretary Anne Marie Vito
Board of Directors Position Description
The basic function of a nonprofit Board Member is to provide governance for the organization, represent it to the community, and accept the ultimate legal authority for it. Members of the board of SWOP are responsible for the following duties:
- Participate in monthly board meetings as scheduled, including planning activities that further the mission of SWOP.
- Evaluate the success of SWOP’s services toward achieving the mission.
- Approve major policies.
- Approve major actions of the Summer Work Outreach Project, such as capital expenditures and major program and service changes.
Finance & Asset Protection
- Ensure financial accountability of SWOP
- Oversee the ongoing process of budget development, approval, and review.
- Provide support and direct assistance with fundraising efforts of SWOP
- Hire, support, and when necessary, discipline and/or terminate the summer staff.
- Annually set goals for and evaluate the performance of the summer staff.
- Approve appropriate policies for the management of volunteers and staff, including those regarding compensation and benefits.
- Ensure that the Board and its committees are adequately and currently informed-through reports and other methods-of the condition of SWOP and its operators.
- Ensure that published reports properly reflect the operating results and financial condition of SWOP.
- Ascertain that the board has established appropriate policies to define and identify conflicts of interest, and is diligently administering and enforcing those policies.
- Review compliance with contractual and legal requirements affecting the organization.
- Act as an ambassador for Summer Work Outreach Project in the community and vice-versa with a view to the larger interests of both.
- Determine when Summer Work Outreach Project should take part in cooperative action such as collaboration, joint operation, etc.
- Review the make-up of the board to ensure representation of all appropriate constituencies and skills.
- Suggest possible nominees to the board who can make significant contributions to the work of the board and the organization.
- Recognize and nurture existing board members to grow and develop as leaders.
- Review the performance of the Board at least annually and take steps to improve its performance.
Expectations for Board Members
Demonstrate commitment to the Summer Work Outreach Project and its mission.
- Devote time to prepare for and participate in board and committee meetings.
- Accept at least one committee assignment.
- Be informed about SWOP’s mission, policies, and programs.
- Exhibit high ethical standards and integrity in all board actions.
- Take responsibility and accountability for all decisions made by the board.
- Demonstrate willingness to work as a team with other board members.
- Ask questions and participate candidly in board discussions.
- A sense of humor!